I live and garden in Portland Oregon – what I consider gardening heaven. Over the years, a totally sunny perennial garden has evolved into a mixture of shrubs and perennials under a canopy of shade with a few sunny spots here and there.

As a young gardener, more plants and more land were my focus. As a senior gardener, I want less of both and have become more careful about what I plant. I now select plants that require less water and less maintenance. I no longer agonize over removing an unruly plant. The transition allows me to continue my passion for digging and planting, but in a space that is manageable for a woman in her mid-sixties.

Time passes quickly, memories fade away. Creating this journal will help me re-experience those magical moments in the garden. I hope others enjoy them with me.

Gail

Friday, March 4, 2011

The Garden's Amazing Recovery


I’m so grateful for warmer temperatures and so are all of the plants in the garden - they are such adaptable creatures. If I were to lay down on the ground looking all limp and shriveled in eighteen degree temperatures overnight, I really doubt that just a few hours of temperatures in the thirties would bring me back to life - not only back to life, but perky with a spring in my step, no sign of frostbite, and a big smile on my face.  But, that is what hellebores do.


After two nights of temperatures at twenty degrees and below, this hellebore appears to have irreversible damage. 



But, as temperatures rise into the thirties, the plant plumps up, coming back to life as though nothing had happened.



It is not just hellebores that are dazzling me this week. Daylilies that were barely poking their noses through the mulch a week ago leaped out of the ground, their pointed noses quickly transforming into leafy fans. The new foliage looks so fresh and green and there are only a few small slug bites from the hungry babies that have been hatching. It is time to spread a little more bait around.

Some of the flower buds on Kerria japonica are beginning to open. They began swelling in January, but have been patiently waiting in a holding pattern until this week. Now it is as though they know something that I don't. Could the worst of winter be behind us?

Other residents of the garden seem to be saying the same thing - like Clematis 'Huldine'  which has put on four inches of growth this past week, out pacing most of the others by an inch or two.

I am always fascinated when mystery crocus suddenly appear here and there in the garden. What a bright and cheerful surprise!




Blueberry bush 'Sunshine Blue' is one of my favorite garden shrubs with attractive deep burgundy winter foliage, early new growth, lots of pretty white bell shaped flowers and a compact growth habit. It also doesn't need a pollinator to produce  sweet, tasty berries.

 
Life is being renewed at every level in the garden from the tallest tree down to these bright red peony shoots breaking through the mulch.


There is so much happening every day in the garden and I don't want to miss any of it - which motivates me to take at least one walk around every day - rain or shine - although I do believe that I am a bit more motivated when the sun is shining.

No comments:

Post a Comment