I live and garden in Portland Oregon – what I consider gardening heaven. Over the years, a totally sunny perennial garden has evolved into a mixture of shrubs and perennials under a canopy of shade with a few sunny spots here and there.

As a young gardener, more plants and more land were my focus. As a senior gardener, I want less of both and have become more careful about what I plant. I now select plants that require less water and less maintenance. I no longer agonize over removing an unruly plant. The transition allows me to continue my passion for digging and planting, but in a space that is manageable for a woman in her mid-sixties.

Time passes quickly, memories fade away. Creating this journal will help me re-experience those magical moments in the garden. I hope others enjoy them with me.

Gail

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Power of Plants

Even though they would far rather have the warmth of the sun to help their petals open up, the floral residents of the garden have let it be known this week that they will no longer be deterred by our cold, damp, gray spring weather. Today was their day to take a stand, spread their leaves, open their petals, and take back the garden – no more waiting for the clouds to give in to the sun. They have shown me the way - encouraging me to join in as they scoff at Mother Nature’s attempt to dampen our spirits. 


Trillium ovatum wasted no time ushering in spring.



This morning’s walk in the garden was a delight. Everywhere I looked, there were surprises, some poking up by my feet - like this beautiful blue Hepatica nobilis in full bloom -


and some unfurling above my head, like Clematis 'Blue Dancer' with its fat flower buds almost ready to pop. 


Even though the sun was obscured by a thick, gray mass of clouds and drizzles of raindrops periodically tried to force me back inside, I continued on. I was empowered by the plants' strength and courage to meet this spring's challenge, pressing forward like this delicate Epimedium sulphureum


and this bold Podophyllum hexandrum.


After twisting and pushing their way through cold soil and wet mulch, all of the plants still had plenty of collective energy remaining to entice me out the door and then to gently prod and pull me forward along the garden paths. I bent down, looked up, touched leaves, caressed petals, inhaled Daphne’s sweet perfume, and soaked up the freshness of it all. The chill in the air vanished as I became engulfed by the joy of the moment.

Just last week, I thought that it would take sunshine to transform the garden and inspire me, but I was wrong. It took only the will of the plants to make it happen. 

The bright golden leaves of Ribes sanguineum 'Brockelbankii' made their own sunshine today, then shared their warm glow with me and gave me inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment