I live and garden in Portland Oregon – what I consider gardening heaven. Over the years, a totally sunny perennial garden has evolved into a mixture of shrubs and perennials under a canopy of shade with a few sunny spots here and there.

As a young gardener, more plants and more land were my focus. As a senior gardener, I want less of both and have become more careful about what I plant. I now select plants that require less water and less maintenance. I no longer agonize over removing an unruly plant. The transition allows me to continue my passion for digging and planting, but in a space that is manageable for a woman in her mid-sixties.

Time passes quickly, memories fade away. Creating this journal will help me re-experience those magical moments in the garden. I hope others enjoy them with me.

Gail

Monday, March 21, 2011

FEELING STUCK IN A TIME WARP

I cannot believe that it has been two weeks since my last blog entry! It is true that life has been rather busy with several gardening events to attend, but that just doesn't account for enough time to satisfy this feeling that I must have been transported into another dimension. Why else would I not have been in the garden every single day experiencing plants emerging, leaves unfurling, blossoms opening, and all of the other exciting changes that happen so quickly at this time of year. The weather has been cloudy, rainy, and windy with unseasonably cold temperatures for what seems like a very long time. One day just seems to melt into the next and plants are not advancing at their usual pace. Spring officially began yesterday, but it feels as though both the garden and I have been trapped in a "Winter Weather Time Warp". 

Daffodils buds are slow to pop open.




Hellebore blossoms that have been brave and faithful companions since mid-January continue to provide a colorful display, for which I am grateful, but it is totally unfair that they must continue to carry all of the garden entertainment burden. 

If the sun will just quit hiding behind the clouds and provide the warmth and light we are in desperate need of, magical things will happen in the garden. 


Swollen buds will be transformed into bowls of cream and pink perched along the top of magnolia branches. 


Clusters of white flowers will explode from the tight pink buttons at the tips of viburnum branches. 


Fern fiddles will rise from their tight knots and unfurl into delicate lacy fluffs of bright, spring green. 

Best of all, I'll be able to locate the portal that will take me back to my garden where warm spring days are filled with light and the promise of exciting new discoveries. My inspiration will be restored.

No comments:

Post a Comment