I live and garden in Portland Oregon – what I consider gardening heaven. Over the years, a totally sunny perennial garden has evolved into a mixture of shrubs and perennials under a canopy of shade with a few sunny spots here and there.

As a young gardener, more plants and more land were my focus. As a senior gardener, I want less of both and have become more careful about what I plant. I now select plants that require less water and less maintenance. I no longer agonize over removing an unruly plant. The transition allows me to continue my passion for digging and planting, but in a space that is manageable for a woman in her mid-sixties.

Time passes quickly, memories fade away. Creating this journal will help me re-experience those magical moments in the garden. I hope others enjoy them with me.

Gail

Thursday, February 24, 2011

A Touch of Winter in February

About 6:30 in the morning, I peeked outside at this winter wonderland, then hurried out to take pictures. The snow didn't stick around for very long. By 9:15 the sun was out and the scene was quickly melting away. It was beautiful while it lasted.



What a wondrous sight to see this Japanese maple with every branch and every little twig adorned in soft, fluffy, pure white snow.

Is it spring or is it winter? A conflicting but beautiful sight - hellebore and crocus buds and blooms in colors that speak of spring surrounded by Mother Nature's snowy reminder that winter still has top billing.





Feeling Fashionable - this hellebore appears to be modeling its snowy hat and gloves.


Looking rather like stovepipes poking up here and there in the garden, these insulation wraps are not the most attractive feature in the garden, but they are beginning to look better and better as they deflect windy, wintry blasts of cold from the plants tucked safely inside. 




A variegated Azara has been safely tucked inside protected from cold, windy, wintry weather looking as fresh as the day it was wrapped up. I'm looking forward to removing the protection and enjoying the sight of it basking in warm rays of sunshine. The snow has been beautiful, but I'm ready for more days that bring a hint of spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment