I live and garden in Portland Oregon – what I consider gardening heaven. Over the years, a totally sunny perennial garden has evolved into a mixture of shrubs and perennials under a canopy of shade with a few sunny spots here and there.

As a young gardener, more plants and more land were my focus. As a senior gardener, I want less of both and have become more careful about what I plant. I now select plants that require less water and less maintenance. I no longer agonize over removing an unruly plant. The transition allows me to continue my passion for digging and planting, but in a space that is manageable for a woman in her mid-sixties.

Time passes quickly, memories fade away. Creating this journal will help me re-experience those magical moments in the garden. I hope others enjoy them with me.

Gail

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Snowdrops and Crocus





I can always count on snowdrops in January. Their buds peek out from under the mulch signaling that daylight hours are increasing and spring is only a few weeks away. By the first week in February, flowers are fully open and some crocus are beginning to bloom while others are just beginning to emerge.

No comments:

Post a Comment