I live and garden in Portland Oregon – what I consider gardening heaven. Over the years, a totally sunny perennial garden has evolved into a mixture of shrubs and perennials under a canopy of shade with a few sunny spots here and there.

As a young gardener, more plants and more land were my focus. As a senior gardener, I want less of both and have become more careful about what I plant. I now select plants that require less water and less maintenance. I no longer agonize over removing an unruly plant. The transition allows me to continue my passion for digging and planting, but in a space that is manageable for a woman in her mid-sixties.

Time passes quickly, memories fade away. Creating this journal will help me re-experience those magical moments in the garden. I hope others enjoy them with me.

Gail

Monday, February 7, 2011

Hellebores awaken in Mid-January

When Hellebores begin to poke through the mulch, I know the garden floor will not remain a quiet blanket of mulch much longer. Plump buds will continue to rise from the ground until there is an explosion of color in February. These plants do not require much care, brighten my winter days, and the evergreen foliage looks good after the flowers fade away in late spring. I do cut the flower stalks off before the seeds ripen. Otherwise, I want to keep all of the babies and that doesn't fit into my plan of downsizing my garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment