I live and garden in Portland Oregon – what I consider gardening heaven. Over the years, a totally sunny perennial garden has evolved into a mixture of shrubs and perennials under a canopy of shade with a few sunny spots here and there.

As a young gardener, more plants and more land were my focus. As a senior gardener, I want less of both and have become more careful about what I plant. I now select plants that require less water and less maintenance. I no longer agonize over removing an unruly plant. The transition allows me to continue my passion for digging and planting, but in a space that is manageable for a woman in her mid-sixties.

Time passes quickly, memories fade away. Creating this journal will help me re-experience those magical moments in the garden. I hope others enjoy them with me.

Gail

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

THE BIRD

In mid July, this bird visited the garden. I first noticed it hopping around on the patio among the pots of hostas and thought that it might be injured. But it did fly up into a tree when I walked closer to get a better view. Every day for about two weeks, I would see it in the evening in the same place, just hopping around and seeming to be unafraid of my presence as long as I didn't get within about three feet. And then - one day - it was gone.



I've looked on the internet and in every book I have and cannot find any picture or description matching the color and markings on the pretty little bird. Can anyone out there tell me what it is?

No comments:

Post a Comment