I live and garden in Portland Oregon – what I consider gardening heaven. Over the years, a totally sunny perennial garden has evolved into a mixture of shrubs and perennials under a canopy of shade with a few sunny spots here and there.

As a young gardener, more plants and more land were my focus. As a senior gardener, I want less of both and have become more careful about what I plant. I now select plants that require less water and less maintenance. I no longer agonize over removing an unruly plant. The transition allows me to continue my passion for digging and planting, but in a space that is manageable for a woman in her mid-sixties.

Time passes quickly, memories fade away. Creating this journal will help me re-experience those magical moments in the garden. I hope others enjoy them with me.

Gail

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

AND THE BEES

One evening in late July, I was sitting on the patio visiting with family when someone noticed an unusually large number of bees above the main pathway in the garden. We got a little closer to see what was happening, and sure enough, it was a swarm of honey bees looking for a place to spend the night. 

I've heard and read about bee swarms, but this was the first opportunity I'd ever had to experience it. They formed a column between two trees and their combined buzzing created enough sound that we had to raise our voices to hear one another. I was so mesmerized by the sight that I almost forgot to take pictures. They settled on the outer part of a branch on a Japanese maple about fifteen feet off of the ground forming a large ball in the shape of a football, quieted down, and then settled in for the night. 


Early the next morning, I checked the internet for someone to collect them since they obviously were from a healthy hive that grew too large and split to form a new colony. They would soon fly off again looking for a new home and if a satisfactory one could not be found, would perish - especially if they were to invade someone's home.

I was able to contact someone who came and collected them and will use them in an educational program in local schools. They will have a nice, clean and safe new home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment